About the Privacy & Security
Within the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), the designated organization that operates the HIPAA compliance Office is called the HIPAA Privacy & Security Office.
- The organizational structure: HIPAA Privacy & Security Office is operating under the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services System, Operations, Information Systems & Technology. This is because HIPAA most heavily impacts the state's healthcare and entitlement programs' financing activities, including the Medicaid claims process. The HIPAA Office reports to the HIPAA Steering Committee. The HIPAA Steering Committee provides direction, strategy, resource allocation, and department collaboration towards HIPAA compliance..
- The staffs: HIPAA Office is comprised of the HIPAA Privacy & Security Officers that focus on different aspects of the regulations. The staff is responsible for: drafting deliverable reports, observing non-compliance issues and suggesting solutions, and meeting with management to share their healthcare, policy formulation and information systems skills towards compliance.
- Responsibilities. These are the key responsibilities for the Privacy & Security Office:
- Maintenance of the Business Associate Agreements. This includes creation of the standard version of the agreement, helping HHSS staff send those contracts to external partners, keeping centralized records of BAA, etc.
- DHHS Compliance: Assessment, analysis, remediation, and maintenance; for 24-hour facilities, programs, and agencies.
- Training. The Privacy & Security Office is charged with the task of training all 5500+ DHHS employees, in compliance with HIPAA requirements.
- Maintain compliance plans and on-going data. The Office does so using Lotus Notes databases and periodic status reports.
- Prepare for auditor visits.
- Maintenance of Internet and Intranet HIPAA websites.
- Respond to reports of violation, complaints, and requests for data / amendments.
- The contact information for the HIPAA Privacy & Security Office is:
|Use this email address to contact Nebraska DHHS about HIPAA matters:
- Violation reporting,
- File compliant,
- HIPAA questions / requests,
- Contracts for Associates,
|Use this phone number to reach the voicemail box that also serves HIPAA requests in the above box.
|This is the mailing address for all of your HIPAA-related correspondence with the NE DHHS.
||P.O. Box 95026|
301 Centennial Mall South
Lincoln, NE 68509