2. Business Associates Section:
HIPAA Facts - in Brief
This is an abbreviated summary of some HIPAA facts.
- Abbreviation: HIPAA = "Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act"
- Owner. Published and maintained by U.S. Department of Health and Human Resources. (www.hhs.gov)
- Titles. Two Titles under HIPAA:
- Title I, "Insurance Reform"
- Title II, "Administrative Simplification"
- Key sections. Privacy, Security, Transactions (& Codesets).
All are under Title II, Administrative Simplification"
- Deadlines for compliance:
- Privacy: April 14, 2003.
- Security: April 21, 2006
- Transactions: October 16, 2003 .
- National Employer Identifier: August 1, 2005
- Privacy: Protected Health Information (PHI)
- Security: Any information system that collects, maintains, uses, or transmits individually identifiable health information.