1. Consumer Section:
Complaint and Violation Reporting
If you have a complaint to make, please follow the steps listed below:
- Before you file a complaint, check if these conditions exist, before you file the complaint:
- Is this a violation regarding protected health information privacy?
- Is this information relating to operations, treatment, payment for those services?
- Did you first try to resolve it directly with the responsible parties?
- Did this event occur with 180 days?
- Contact the Nebraska DHHS HIPAA Privacy Officer.
You may do so using email or postal letter.
Be sure to include the following information in your written compliant:
- Your name, full address, home and work telephone numbers, email address.
- If you are filing a complaint on someone's behalf, also provide the name of the person on whose behalf you are filing.
- Name, full address and phone of the person, agency or organization you believe violated your (or someone else's) health information privacy rights or committed another violation of the Privacy Rule.
- Briefly describe what happened. How, why, and when do believe your (or someone else's) health information privacy rights were violated, or the Privacy Rule otherwise was violated?
- Any other relevant information.
- Please sign your name and date your letter.
- You may also file your complaint directly with the Office of Civil Rights Regional Office:
Office of Civil Rights
US Department of Health & Human Services
601 East 12th St. - Room 248
Kansas City, MO 64106