Genetically Handicapped Person’s Program
What is the Genetically Handicapped Person’s Program?
The Genetically Handicapped Persons’ Program provides specialized medical services for persons 21 years of age and older with cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, and/or sickle cell disease.
Who may be eligible for this program?
21 years of age and older
- Must be a Nebraska resident
- Must be diagnosed with an eligible chronic medical condition (cystic
fibrosis, hemophilia, and/or sickle cell disease) and have an active individual
medical treatment plan
- Must meet financial eligibility based on current regulations
**Enrollment is dependent upon available funding.
What services may be available through the Genetically Handicapped Person’s Program?
Some of the funded services may include:
- Diagnostic and Consultative Services: These services may include assistance with locating offices of participating specialists, hospitals, or specialty clinics.
- Treatment Services: Funds are used to pay for costs of prior authorized specialized medical treatment related to the eligible diagnosis(es). Treatment must be in accordance with the individual treatment plan.
- The program does NOT provide or cover general medical care.
**Services are dependent upon available funding.
How do I apply for the Genetically Handicapped Person’s Program?
Individuals, parents, guardians, agencies, and physicians may refer persons to the Genetically Handicapped Person’s Program at any time.
- You can request an application from any Department of Health and Human Services local office.
Applications may be submitted to any Department of Health and Human office or to:
ATTN: Medically Handicapped Children’s Program
Department of Health and Human Services
P.O. Box 95026
Lincoln, NE 68509-5026
For additional information and questions, please contact any of the following locations:
Grand Island (800) 353-9433
Lincoln (402) 471-5308 or (402) 471-5379
Norfolk (402) 370-3131
North Platte (308) 535 8238
Omaha (402) 595-2189
How can I find the state regulations for the Genetically Handicapped Person’s Program?