Home and Community Services
Assistive Technology / Home Modifications

What is Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service?

Special medical equipment, devices, or changes to your home or vehicle to help you be safer, more independent, or to help assist caregivers.

Who needs Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service?

Aged persons or people with a disability who need special equipment, devices, or changes to their home or vehicle to be more independent.

Do I qualify for Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service?

You may qualify if you are:

  • An aged person or a person with a disability and eligible for Nebraska Medicaid
  • Assessed by an AT technician as needing devices, equipment, or modifications
  • Eligible for a DHHS program that has the Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service (such as the Aged and Disabled Medicaid Waiver)

More questions and answers about Assistive Technology/Home Modifications, including examples

Contact someone who can answer your questions about Assistive Technology/Home Modifications or apply for this service.

PDF For children up to age 17
PDF For adults 18 and older with physical disabilities
PDF For adults 65 and older


How do I find out if I can receive Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service?

What services are covered?

Aids to daily living that are vital for health and well-being, like help with:

  • Personal care
  • Eating
  • Bathing
  • Dressing
  • Hygiene
  • Housekeeping
  • Changes to your vehicle, such as a wheelchair lift or a raised roof for a van

What services are not covered?

Items covered by other Medicaid programs such as:

  • Bath benches
  • Shower chairs
  • Special beds
  • Walkers
  • Wheelchairs
  • Scooters
  • Whirlpools
  • Exercise equipment
  • Furniture
  • Appliances
  • Air-conditioners
  • Disposable medical supplies
  • Home maintenance and repairs

Do I have to be a homeowner?

No, you do not have to own your home, but:

  • You must be living in a dwelling that fits your needs
  • The dwelling must have no health or safety risks (any required plumbing or code issues are the responsibility of the owner)
  • The landlord must agree to the changes in your home

Who provides Assistive Technology services?

DHHS works with Assistive Technology Partnership to provide these services

Where can I read the DHHS regulations for programs with Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service?

Title 480 -- Home and Community-Based Waiver Services and Optional Targeted Case Management Services, Chapter 5 -- Home and Community-Based Waiver Services for Aged Persons or Adults or Children with Disabilities, 5-005.C (page 36), 5-005.G (page 43)

Title 472 -- The Disabled Persons and Family Support Program

Title 469 -- Assistance to the Aged, Blind, or Disabled, Nebraska Medical Assistance Program and State Disability Program