|Home and Community Services
Assistive Technology / Home Modifications
What is Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service?
Special medical equipment, devices, or changes to your home or vehicle to help you be safer, more independent, or to help assist caregivers.
Who needs Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service?
Aged persons or people with a disability who need special equipment, devices, or changes to their home or vehicle to be more independent.
Do I qualify for Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service?
You may qualify if you are:
- An aged person or a person with a disability and eligible for Nebraska Medicaid
- Assessed by an AT technician as needing devices, equipment, or modifications
- Eligible for a DHHS program that has the Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service (such as the Aged and Disabled Medicaid Waiver)
More questions and answers about Assistive Technology/Home Modifications, including examples
Contact someone who can answer your questions about Assistive Technology/Home Modifications or apply for this service.
For children up to age 17
For adults 18 and older with physical disabilities
For adults 65 and older
How do I find out if I can receive Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service?
What services are covered?
Aids to daily living that are vital for health and well-being, like help with:
- Personal care
- Changes to your vehicle, such as a wheelchair lift or a raised roof for a van
What services are not covered?
Items covered by other Medicaid programs such as:
- Bath benches
- Shower chairs
- Special beds
- Exercise equipment
- Disposable medical supplies
- Home maintenance and repairs
Do I have to be a homeowner?
No, you do not have to own your home, but:
- You must be living in a dwelling that fits your needs
- The dwelling must have no health or safety risks (any required plumbing or code issues are the responsibility of the owner)
- The landlord must agree to the changes in your home
Who provides Assistive Technology services?
DHHS works with Assitive Technology Partnership to provide these services
Where can I read the DHHS regulations for programs with Assistive Technology/Home Modifications Service?
Title 480 -- Home and Community-Based Waiver Services and Optional Targeted Case Management Services, Chapter 5 -- Home and Community-Based Waiver Services for Aged Persons or Adults or Children with Disabilities, 5-005.C (page 36), 5-005.G (page 43)
Title 472 -- The Disabled Persons and Family Support Program
Title 469 -- Assistance to the Aged, Blind, or Disabled, Nebraska Medical Assistance Program and State Disability Program