Sound bites and Public Service Announcements
PSA: Free Testing of Private Well Water for Nitrates Available at Husker Harvest Days / Jack Daniel, Administrator of the Office of Drinking Water and Environmental Health
PSA: Pesticide Poisoning Prevention. PSAs were produced by the UNL Pesticide Safety Education Program.
- Workers and Citizens
First Nebraska Case of Mosquito-borne Virus – Chikungunya/Dr. Joseph Acierno, Chief Medical Officer/Director of Public Health
- Deaths from disease are rare
- Chikungunya not found in mosquitoes in U.S.
- Mosquitoes transmit viruses. Whether traveling abroad or staying at home, important to protect yourself from mosquito bites
- Tips to protect yourself
Celebrating Five Years of Clean Indoor Air in Nebraska/ Judy Martin / Deputy Director for Community and Environmental Health
- Being Smoke-Free Often Taken for Granted
- NE One of 16 States with 100% Smoke Free Law
- No Safe Level of Exposure
State Wards Continue Decline/ Thomas Pristow / Director of Children and Family Services
- 26% Decline in Wards
- Structured Decision Making
- Exceeding 4 0f 6 Federal Measures
- Keeping kids at home
2/18/2014 ADC (TANF) Success / Thomas Pristow / Director of Children and Family Services
- Services provided by Employment First
- Number of citizens served
- Ranking in the nation
2/18/2014 Norovirus Outbreaks Reported to DHHS / Dr. Joseph Acierno / Chief Medical Officer and Director of Public Health
- Norovirus spreads quickly
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Prevention tips
2/12/2014 State Ward Visits Better Fed Requirement / Thomas Pristow / Director of Children and Family Services
- Fed requirement and goal of CFS
- Commitment to make visits to wards
- Studies show visits have positive impact
1/10/2014 Flu Activity Rapidly Increasing in Neb / Dr. Joseph Acierno / Chief Medical Officer and Director of Public Health
- Flu can be a serious disease
- People at greater risk for flu complications should receive vaccine
- Other tips to protect yourself against the flu
Nebraska in Top 10 for Flu Vaccination – It’s Time to Get Flu Vaccine for 2013-2014 Season / Dr. Joseph Acierno, Chief Medical Officer and Director of Public Health
- We have some lead time. Get vaccinated now.
- Your body will have time to build immunity before flu shows up.
- Flu vaccine is recommended for everyone 6 months and older.
- Certain people are at greater risk for serious complications from the flu.
- Flu can be a serious disease.
- Can’t predict what’s in store for this year.
Water Chief: Take Action Before Flooding to Protect Drinking Water / Jack Daniel, Administrator of the Office of Drinking Water and Environmental Health
- Why is flood water in a well unsafe?
- What should be done to prevent contamination of wells?
Child Deaths on the Decline According to Child Death Review Team Report/Dr. Joseph Acierno, Chief Medical Officer and Director of Public Health
- Significant decrease in child deaths
- Decrease testimony to hard work being done
- Many deaths were preventable. More work to do
- Top 5 cause of death for children
Free Water Screening Offered at Husker Harvest Days / Jack Daniel, Nebraska Drinking Water Adminstrator
- Get your water tested.
West Nile Virus Activity Ramping Up - Dr. Joseph Acierno / Chief Medical Officer and Director of Public Health
- We’re in the heart of West Nile Virus season so protect yourself
- Use mosquito repellent
- Dress in long-sleeved shirts, pants and socks
- Limit outdoor activities during dawn and dusk
- Drain standing water
7/30/2013Nebraska Cyclospora Outbreak Update: Investigation identifies source – prepackaged salad mix / Dr. Tom Safranek, State Epidemiologist
- Prepackaged salad mix identified as source
- Extensive interviews played critical role
6/26/2013Don’t be a Mosquito’s Main Course This Fourth/Dr. Joseph Acierno / Chief Medical Officer and Director of Public Health
- WNV shows up every year
- Tips to protect yourself from mosquitoes
- Avoid ticks too
- Symptoms of tick-related and mosquito-related illnesses similar
- Tips to protect yourself from ticks
Nebraska Tobacco Quitline and the CDC Note the Importance of “Talking with Your Doctor” to Quit Tobacco Use / Dr. Joseph M. Acierno, Chief Medical Officer and Director of Public Health
- Talk to your Doctor
- Quitline: 1-800-QuitNow
5/16/2013May is Children's Mental Health Awareness Month / Scot Adams, director of the Division of Behavioral Health
- When should a parent be concerned?
- How can parents find resources to help their child?
- Where can a parent get help?
PSA: Children's Mental Health Awareness Month
- Parents and Caregivers
- Consistent Relationships
Small Acts of Kindness
Nebraska Women Binge Drink at Higher Rate than National Average / Scot Adams, director of the Division of Behavioral Health
- What can happen if you drink?
Survey: Behavioral Health Consumers Satisfied / Scot Adams, director of the Division of Behavioral Health
- What does this survey show?
- What is the value of the services?
Child Flu Death Reported to DHHS / Dr. Joann Schaefer, Chief Medical Officer and Director of Public Health
- This is a sad reminder of how serious flu can be.
- Vaccination is one of the most important ways to protect children from the flu.